Sunday, March 8, 2009

Writing on What Interests You

http://www.apexbookcompany.com/blog/2009/02/writing-what-you-knowoh-no/

Writing about what you know is different than writing about what you're passionate about or interested in. Pasted above is an article that I came across when researching about writing and English education. The article outlines the basic idea that writing about what you're passionate about is much more interesting than writing about what you're know. Not only is it more interesting, but it is a far cry from writing about what you know. When you write about something that you're interested in, you're voice shines through the piece that you're working on. You can be really interested in technology, but have no clue what it's all about. You can know all about your family vacation to California last summer, but is it something that you're still interested in and passionate about? Writing about what you know can become boring for your readers and even boring for you as a writer. It can be fun and worth your time to research a topic that you are really interested in and know nothing about.

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, I really liked this post. It really got me thinking. At first I thought that writing about what you know (experienced such as the example you gave about a vacation to California) would be easy and interesting to the writer. It is always fun to look back on only memories and share experiences. But as I as I continued to think about it, I realized that writing about something that I am truely interested in would give me more motivation to explore and explain this to others through writing. If I think about all my writing assignments, the topics that I chose because I was interested in them vs. the ones that I chose because I already knew what to write about, ended up producing better pieces. Great post and article!

    ReplyDelete